Itinerant Merchant Permit


An itinerant merchant is a door-to-door sales person soliciting, selling, or taking orders and does not have a fixed business location.

In order to obtain an itinerant merchant permit, you must:

  1. Fill out the application (PDF) completely (This contains authorization for the City to obtain information regarding the applicant's criminal history)
  2. Provide a current copy of applicant's driver's license
  3. Provide two recent, clear photographs, not to exceed one square inch
  4. Provide a $10,000 bond made payable to the City of Canyon for solicitor or vendor
  5. Provide a copy of your State Sales Tax permit
  6. Pay the permit fee of $25 for a 30-day permit (the applicant may re-apply every 30 days, each person going door-to-door must obtain a permit)
  7. Provide a dated certificate or letter from the president, vice president, general manager, sales manager, assistant sales manager, or district or area manager of the company for which the applicant works, sells, or solicits. It must state that the applicant is currently an employee or agent of the company
  8. Provide a reference to a recognized rating publication, which shall show the page on which the company's or firm's financial standing can be found; or a letter or a certificate from an association or organization which has, as its purpose, the protection or citizens of the United States against illegal or unsavory business practices stating that the firm or company is a member in good standing of such association or organization
  9. Obtain approval of the Director of Planning & Development.
  10. Trespass by Permit Holder: An itinerant merchant who has obtained a permit as required by Chapter 113 of the City of Canyon Code of Ordinances and who offers or attempts to sell goods or services to a homeowner or resident of an apartment through direct physical contact, including door to door solicitation, shall not approach or solicit a home or other residence during any times where a placard is displayed indicating that the homeowner or residential occupant does not wish to be solicited. Violation of this section will result in legal action according to Section 10.99 of the Code of Ordinances and revocation of the permit.

Return all items completed to the:
Director of Planning & Development
301 16th St.
Canyon, TX 79015

If you have questions, call the Planning & Development Department at (806) 655-5014.