In 1995, the School Resource Officer (SRO) Program was created as a cooperative partnership between the Canyon Police Department and the Canyon Independent School District.
The Canyon Police Department provides a certified police officer who is assigned as School Resource Officer at the Canyon High School, Canyon Jr. High School, and Midway Alternative High School.
Sergeant Kody McCarrell is the SRO Supervisor and works at Midway Alternative High School. Corporal Judd Wolfe serves as SRO for Canyon High School and Corporal Jimmy Hernandez is the SRO at Canyon Jr. High School. As part of their duties, they patrol the area surrounding the school campus before the start of school, at lunch, and after school.
Goals and Objectives
The SRO plays an integral part in keeping our schools safe. The goals and objectives of the SRO are:
- To promote a safe learning environment
- To prevent and deter crime
- To promote a positive role model
- To establish liaison between the police and schools
- To educate our students about public safety concerns
Today the SRO program is a very visible part of the school environment. The placing of a uniformed police officer in our schools provides four main benefits:
- Reduces workload on the patrol force
- Improves the public image of the police within the community
- Promotes better relationships with the schools
- Enhances the law enforcement agency's reputation